Speaking Email does not speak - why not?
Probably something simple! First, check your volume (press the + button to turn volume up). Then check the "silent" switch. If the phone is on silent mode it may not speak (depending on device).
If you hear the sender and time being spoken but not the email content (or the other way around), you may have a corrupted voice on your phone. Go to Preferences > Voices and choose a different voice. There are two voices you can select - the first one is the Announcer, then English Email Reader. Try choosing different voices and see if that fixes it.
If you are on Android, it is possible there are no Google voices installed on your phone (depending on your provider, device and customisations). If so, you can download them under system settings.Android Speech Output (Text-to-Speech aka TTS):
- Look under Accessibility > Text-to-speech output. Ensure you have "Google Text to Speech" selected and the correct language.
- Note that Speaking Email won't use Samsung or other vendor voices - so you need to enable the Google voices as your default TTS engine.
- Tap the cog next to Google TTS Engine.
- Tap “install voice data”
- Download the voices in any languages you need.
- In Speaking Email go to Preferences > Speech Speed, Voices & Language
- Speaking Email lists any languages you have voices selected for. Choose one of these or add a language and then choose which voice you prefer. Voice samples are played when you tap so you can tell what they sound like.