Listen to your email on iPhone safely while driving - yes it's possible!Speaking Email FAQ | Home | All FAQs
Q: Does this app enable safe driving?
A: If you compare this app to using a normal email app, there is no question that Speaking Email is much safer. If you are sneakily checking your email in the car, this app provides a much safer alternative.
In terms of driver distraction, anything can be a distraction including talking to passengers, hands free phone calls, kids, music. Listening to your emails is mostly passive, and Speaking Email requires minimal to zero interaction. All interactions are optional, and none take your eyes off the road for more than a second. So we think on the continuum of driver distraction, this app is much safer than texting and driving, and probably safer than making a phone call with your phone in a cradle or hands free.
We designed Speaking Email with driver safety in mind:
- It requires minimal interaction, having only one main screen, meaning there is no need to navigate between screens.
- There is no way to type replies and no need to ever use the keyboard.
- Your emails can be continuously spoken, meaning you never need to look at or touch the phone.
- If you wish to skip an email, go back, or archive an email, you can easily tap or swipe anywhere on the screen without looking.
- Voice commands are available for all commands, including reply and forwarding by dictation.
- You can also optionally glance at the phone any time to see your email with images and layout, to get a quick feel for it. But this is purely optional.
- Supports Bluetooth Audio (A2DP)
Your phone should be in a fixed mounting if you intend to touch it, and depending on your local regulations this is a legal requirement.
Studies show driver distraction is worse talking on the phone than listening. Some studies even suggest that talking with passengers is more of a risk than listening to voice recordings, because preparing to speak has a higher cognitive load than passive listening.
For more about distracted driving see http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/facts-and-statistics.html
What is Speaking Email?
An app for iPhone and Android that reads your email out loud to you. It intelligently extracts content from emails (minus the signatures, disclaimers and threads). And it lets you action your email - archive, mark-as-read, trash, flag, reply, or forward. It can be completely by voice command, or use the large on-screen buttons or full screen touch gestures.
Who is it for?
People with blindness or visual impairment. People who are busy and run out of time to get through their inbox. People who want to make productive use of time when driving between appointments.