Set up smart content detection and skippingSpeaking Email FAQ | Home | All FAQs
Q: It is skipping too much or not enough - can I configure this?
A: We detect and skip email signatures, disclaimers, phone number, web addresses and email addresses. You will hear "skipping signature" to let you know when this happens. Our detection is based on heuristics and is not always perfect, but is we think it is pretty damn good. We are continually improving it, and you are welcome to forward us any emails that are not being detected very well (eg a signature not being skipped or some text being skipped when it isn't a signature).
There are several settings under Preferences to customise what is spoken:
- Whether to read out the recipients, CCs, and time received.
- If you want to focus on important emails, you can switch on "skip promotional emails". (Or you might find you have time to listen to newsletters you subscribed to which you don't have time to look at!)
- There is an option to cut off when a reply is detected - ie "reply skipping" - where you can choose whether to have it move on to the next email when it detects the start of a reply thread / email trail.
What is Speaking Email?
An app for iPhone and Android that reads your email out loud to you. It intelligently extracts content from emails (minus the signatures, disclaimers and threads). And it lets you action your email - archive, mark-as-read, trash, flag - using voice commands or on-screen buttons. It works with Microsoft 365 (aka Office, Outlook) and Gmail email accounts, as well as most other providers including any standard IMAP server.
Who is it for?
People who are busy and run out of time to get through their inbox. People who want to make productive use of time when driving to work. People with blindness, vision problems, or other disabilities who cannot see or type and want to be able to hear, reply to, and compose emails by voice.
Does it work on Apple CarPlay?
See our other product Speaking Email CarPlay if you have CarPlay.
Is is free?
Yes it is free to download the basic edition. Free features:
- Email text-to-speech (TTS) with smart content detection (this is awesome, you will be blown away!)
- On-screen buttons for basic actions next/prev, archive, flag
Do I have to upgrade?
Nope, but you can upgrade for:
- Multiple accounts
- Attachment reading
- Voice commands (you will love this!)
- Dictation - reply/forward/compose (you will love this even more!)