Voice Dream Mail vs Speaking Email for reading iPhone email out loudSpeaking Email FAQ | Home | All FAQs
Q: Why choose Speaking Email over Voice Dream Mail?
Voice Dream Mail was launched about the same time as Speaking Email, and it provides a similar feature set to Speaking Email, but it has some shortcomings including:
- No email display - it just displays a blurry version of the email
- Voice Dream Email recommends that it should not be used while driving, whereas we have designed Speaking Email with driver safety in mind from the get go
- No email signature detection - you will spend more time listening to email signatures and disclaimers than content
- Swipe gestures are similar, although sometimes when swiping back Voice Dream Email goes back too far and shows the inbox
Both Voice Dream Mail and Speaking Email have free versions and are priced about the same for the full versions, so try them both.
What is Speaking Email?
An app for iPhone and Android that reads your email out loud to you. It intelligently extracts content from emails (minus the signatures, disclaimers and threads). And it lets you action your email - archive, mark-as-read, trash, flag - using voice commands or on-screen buttons. It works with Microsoft 365 (aka Office, Outlook) and Gmail email accounts, as well as most other providers including any standard IMAP server.
Who is it for?
People who are busy and run out of time to get through their inbox. People who want to make productive use of time when driving to work. People with blindness, vision problems, or other disabilities who cannot see or type and want to be able to hear, reply to, and compose emails by voice.
Does it work on Apple CarPlay?
See our other product Speaking Email CarPlay if you have CarPlay.
Is is free?
Yes it is free to download the basic edition. Free features:
- Email text-to-speech (TTS) with smart content detection (this is awesome, you will be blown away!)
- On-screen buttons for basic actions next/prev, archive, flag
Do I have to upgrade?
Nope, but you can upgrade for:
- Multiple accounts
- Attachment reading
- Voice commands (you will love this!)
- Dictation - reply/forward/compose (you will love this even more!)