Speaking Email is auto updated frequently with new features and maintenance fixes. See the latest changes we have implemented in our changelog.
2 Sep 2021
- Archive and Sent folders are now playable like other folders on Gmail, Microsoft 365 and IMAP
- New "attachment" command jumps to reading out the attachment
- Office 365 renamed Microsoft 365
- Better spelling of people's names in dictated response
- New "language" command lets you change reading language (in case the language detection is incorrect or the email contains mixed languages)
22 Aug 2021
- Gmail "Archive (All Mail)" is now available as a playback folder
- Faster syncing when switching folders on Gmail
10 Aug 2021
- Demo/Tutorial can now be replayed or hidden from the Support menu
3 Aug 2021
- New 'large fonts' option under Misc Interface options
- Office365 now uses 'Immutable IDs' which Microsoft introduced recently to avoid issues with emails getting renumbered
- Prevents attempting to send an email when there is a connectivity issue, allowing you to try again (or save as draft - gmail only)
2 May 2021
- Improved context help information (when you say 'help')
- New always-present onscreen mic button in the bottom left corner, lets you interrupt any speaking and give a contextually relevant voice command. This works on all screens, including email reading, dictation, inbox, menu, plan, setup wizard, and preferences. (There are still a few screens that are not operable by voice command - in particular, account setup and support screens - but we wanted to get this feature in the hands of users as soon as possible - so on these screens the mic is present but it only has global voice commands such as 'menu')
- Improved voice controlled preferences
- 'Slower', 'faster', 'voice', 'upgrade' and 'preferences' commands are now available everywhere
- Improved text-to-speech of long strings of digits
- When you update your phone Contacts, it now gets the new contacts immediately
- Ability to say 'cancel' during 'replace' command in dictation
- New 'reload' command to start from the main screen in case you get stuck somewhere in an unknown state (this is in response to some issue blind users have encountered, needing to otherwise quit and relaunch)
21 Mar 2021
- In Blind Mode, when the app resumes from being in the background, it will prompt for a voice command
15 Mar 2021
- Custom replacements - enter your own text to be replaced or removed from the email spoken text
... sorry, we made lots of little improvements but did not update the changelog for about a year....
1 Feb 2020 (autoupdate) - Voice command
- New "voice" voice command. Say "voice" to change the reading voice.
- Fixed some issues around expired tokens for Office 365 logins.
- Changed most error messages to voice based prompts (previously standard operating system dialog boxes which were not user friendly for blind users or drivers).
- Made help more user friendly with explanations rather than just listing commands.
18 Dec 2019 (autoupdate) - Blind mode
- New Blind Mode reads out all text on screen. Set this under Preferences > Misc.
- End Screen now shows any filters you have in place so you can see why there are no more emails. You can also say relevant voice commands on the end screen - previous, undo, account, compose, menu, inbox - and these buttons appear if you tap the screen.
25 Oct 2019 (autoupdate) - Email limit increased to 500
Speaking Email now speaks up to recent 500 emails. We increased this from 250 after a user reported he had 363 unread emails he wanted to get through in a session!
24 Oct 2019 (autoupdate) - ActiveSync sync window changes
1 Oct 2019 (store update) - version 2.0
- "Compose" command with contacts integration
- "Search" and "account" commands
- "File" command
- Auto play body, or not
- Replace word dictation editing command
The past 4 years
To complete the changelog, take a look back and see the evolution of features since we launched Speaking Email in 2015.